Previously on this blog I shared 10 Random Things About Me. Today I’m sharing what I find annoying.
I’m annoyed by people who:
1. Enter and exit elevators without yielding to those in their path.
2. Spit in public.
3. Think small . . . as in airline passengers who, when passing through the first–class cabin while boarding a flight, announce, “Wow, First Class? Must be nice!” I interpret this to mean, they don’t believe it’s possible for them to fly first class. Why not upgrade the energy and say to themselves, “It’s just a matter of time before I travel first class” or “I am first-class. I’m just seated in the coach cabin.” Small-time thinking! Ugh.
4. Answer their phone and say, “I’ll call you right back,” and never do or answer their phone and say, “I can’t talk right now.” Just let the call go to voicemail.
5. Use a toothpick, floss, or clips nails in public.
6. Say, “no problem” in response to “thank you.” No problem implies that there could have been a problem, but they chose to ignore it (and aren’t they a good person for doing so?). Instead, they want to imply that they did whatever it is they’re being thanked for because it was their pleasure to do it. Thus, the appropriate response is, “You’re welcome.”
7. Interrupt conversations without saying, “Excuse me.”
8. Arrive late and casually assert, “Sorry I’m late.” You know they’re not sorry, because they’re always late. Lateness is disrespectful.
9. Change baby diapers on airport terminal benches when they’re steps away from restrooms with changing tables.
10. Don’t look at me while speaking.
“You do not wake up one morning a bad person. It happens by a thousand tiny surrenders of self-respect to self-interest.” ~ Robert Brault